Brent wrote:
>Bill Gates got where he is partly, if not largely, by
>ruthlesly stomping and smashing his competitors, licensing their products,
>bastardizing them, and stealing the ideas, then marginalizing the licensors.

Yep, Worked briefly with him about 15 years ago and it was as you described.
Nothing has changed as far as i can tell.  Today, he has a large company
that needs ongoing income which means new products or continuing sales.
To me, these bloated new products are pushing up the cost of systems,
slowing down execution speeds and wasting huge amounts of time in upgrades
and learning new procedures.  The designs are marginal and most of the
good ideas were borrowed after being demonstrated by others.

Anyway, does anyone know what Linux is doing during the boot while displaying
the message "Checking dependencies".  It is sitting there for minutes
and making the boot too slow.

jeff