Thanks to several different posters for putting up these various
cumulatively informative explanations.  For example with Craig's
information I was able to see that there are both pros and cons that
seem to come from a sort of "dosage" of ethanol, in terms of
engine-cleaning.  It may seem to a real enemy of the fuel that one can
conclude that it's just a disaster, but in fact there's another side
to the matter.  That's the sort of thing that has always left me a bit
wary of accepting any one simple explanation: proponents seem to
sometimes not even acknowledge any drawbacks at all (such as what
seems to be the temporarily worse performance in Craig's description)
and detractors seem to take any temporary or condition-based drawbacks
on performance as an excuse to dismiss the technology out-of-hand (a
classic sign, in my opinion, that they lack a commitment to an
objective evaluation of the technology).