On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 20:34:06 -0500, you wrote:

>Murdoch,
>
>When are you going to set up an investment fund for manufacturing biofuels?
>
>Craig

If-when I ever serve on a team of mutual fund advisers, I'd advocate
the purchase of biofuel stocks.

But for investing at the level needed (pre-IPO), it would have to be
more of a Venture-Capital or similar fund, and not a stock fund.  I
haven't made any progress on any of these fronts, lately.

My working opinion is that investing in real ventures that have real
productivity potential and real investment return potential both for
their originators and their outside investors is probably more likely
successful at the pre-market stage, or in a way that never goes to
market.  That is only because I have been, and continue to be, very
cynical about stock market companies and the attitudes of their
management and the lack of progress that often (not always) seems to
follow IPO hype.  It isn't just that there are some dishonest people,
but more the distraction of money and
stock-market-intellectual-distraction once that
lone-inventor-garage-motivated-guy starts getting into the business
end of things, not in necessarily a healthy way, but in a hyped-up
Wall-Street way.

Well, I'll try to continue to give some feedback on this point, if
anything develops.  My own preference is to continue a more general
writing career for myself, but I have developed two or three VC
contacts (though not specifically in biofuels), and if-when-where it
seems appropriate I do try to refer them to the right people for
discussion and-or investment.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TPvn8A/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM