On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:48:17 +0100, you wrote:

>I am preparing an article about general energy storages and wonder if
>anyone have calculated the costs for the battery storage part of small
>energy generation. The more I look at this, the more possibilities opens
>up, by using storage techniques. It is even more interesting when you look
>at combinations with renewable energy sources and heat pumps of different
>kinds. This especially in countries with high electricity costs, like the
>European ones.
>
>The reason why I ask, is to know what could be gained by only a storage
>solution, by utilizing rate differences. If you have low rate prices, they
>are normally 50-60% lower than normal rates. With a battery storage
>solution, would it be feasible to charge during discounted time and that
>way reduce over all electricity costs?
>
>Hakan

I don't have what you're looking for, though I will be sitting down
today with a salesperson about buying some solar for my house, and we
will probably discuss the option of UPS-type batteries in some sort of
power house (though it's not a priority because I can feed to the grid
everything I don't use, and I'm not rich enough to pay for all the
equipment to go off-grid.)

What I wanted to say though was that in recent discussions I was
quoted a figure of $550-$600 per kWh for NiCd batteries for EVs.
Maybe this figure will be useful along with others in taking such
batteries into account for home energy storage?  To be sure, and I'll
verify today, I think Lead solutions may still reign supreme in what
are presented as "backup" UPS type solutions, but perhaps that will
change going forward.

Also *Battery Life* is important (critical) to understanding the cost
of the battery.  If I show you a 20 kWh battery system that costs $100
per kWh, and it lasts 500 cycles even if managed very well, and I show
you another 20 kWh system that costs $500 per kWh, but it lasts 5000
cycles, with a gurantee and a similarly priced charger, then I think
we can see that the second system is much less expensive unless you're
confident that the lifetime of what you are installing will not need
500 cycles.

For NiMH and Li-Ion, the theme of the conversation where I was quoted
some figures for NiCD was that unfortunately the scale of production
for the larger EV traction batteries was not yet sufficient to achieve
the economies of scale that would take these down, say, below $1000
per kWh.  That figure wasn't quoted to me, I just have a sense of it
(probably wrong) for some reason.  For example, I guess if you wanted
a Li-Ion 25kWh battery for some super-prototype EV car you're working
on, I'd have a hard time imagining you getting it for less than $25k,
and probably more.  In bulk, I think those figures would come down.
For NiMH, I know I've heard some mass-production projections *from a
manufacturer* that I might be able to dig up if it would be helpful to
you.  Even though this is for EVs, I think they could be somewhat
applied to general-energy storage.

For your projects for your web page, have you developed any thinking
about water?  I know the topic does not integrate directly, but the
more I think about it, the more I am trying to learn about how water
functions on my property, what do I need to be concerned about with
respect to erosion, how can I make better use of rain water incident
on my roof, how is some of my garden automated, etc.  If-when I
install things like solar, another cost this will compete with is the
cost of installing some mangement of the water for better
conservation.

If-when we all are asked to try a little Hydrogen, this may partly fit
in with my plan to install a reverse-osmosis water filteration system.
And then there is the power that could be stored in a few hundred
pounds of water which might be repeatedly allowed to fall from a
height (i.e., micro hydro power).  This last one I doubt I could
implement or that many could, but I just wonder, futuristically, if
the idea could have any merit.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511