At 04:17 PM 3/14/04 +0900, Keith wrote:
 >Anyway, a lot of more recent work has been going into new enzymes and
 >new processes, with promising results so far. Walt Patrick gave us a
 >run-down on this in previous messages.

        For what it's worth, our commitment to methanol comes from (1) our
long-term goal of processing municipal waste into a marketable commodity,
and (2) our goal to do this on a floating platform at sea.

        Seasteading, the establishment of a socially and economically viable
community at sea, has long been seen as the next step in mankind's journey
into space, since if we can't build a viable life at sea, then we don't
have much chance of pulling it off in a weightless vacuum.

        A barge anchored in a current of water has access to compressive energy
and cooling water, and given the relatively unlimited supply of carbaceous
waste available, the only real question is "how do we get there from
here?"  That's the key reason our facility is located in south central
Washington state near the Columbia River and one of the largest land fill
operations in the country.

        Right now, we're working on ways to convert what we have (lots of
forest
waste) into methanol in order to develop our skills and understanding of
the chemistry, materials handling and social-issues involved.

        Were that not the case, I expect that we'd be looking instead at using
the
sulfuric acid process to convert the wood waste we have here on our site
into ethanol. A good website to check out to learn more about that process
would be
        http://www.gaianbioenergy.com/

with best wishes,

Walt