Hakan,
I have done some superficial research, and my preliminary conclusion is that
scale
is the determining factor.  For household-scale energy storage, batteries are
the
most economic solution for storing electricity.  I did some rough calculations,
and
concluded that with realistic time-of-use pricing (low off-peak - about
Cdn$0.03/kWh and high peak prices - about Cdn$0.20/kWh - reflecting hourly
market
rates - generation, transmission and distribution costs only), then having a
day's
worth of storage capacity could pay back in my situation - assuming lead-acid
golf-
cart batteries having a life of five years or more in this application,
conventional charger, and inverter was already in place for other reasons (UPS
or
capturing solar or wind-generated energy).

I put in the battery bank when we were promised by our politicians that the
time-of-
use option was coming.  Of course, it never happened.  Now, I stock it with
batteries that are no longer of sufficient capacity to power EVs, but still
have
some usable capacity, and only use it as stand-by power when the grid goes away
(like last August).

At larger scales, if the space is available, pumped storage appears to be the
technology of choice for electrical utilities.  In specific circumstances,
there
are other technologies that may be attractive - e.g. composite (super) flywheels

Some other household "storage" options include setback thermostats on electric
water heaters (so they go to a higher temp at off-peak times, e.g. 60 C, and
lower
at peak times, e.g. 50 C - that way the water heater will not turn on during
peak
periods if no water is used).  Similarly, "storing" heat and "coolth" in
thermal
mass during off-peak periods (notably if heat pumps/air conditioners are being
used).  I have also heard of people putting their refrigerators and freezers on
timers so their compressors only run during off-peak periods.  There is also
time-
shifting; running specific appliances (e.g. washing machine, dishwasher) at off-
peak times.  And of course, my personal favourite - EVs - battery storage on
wheels.

Darryl McMahon