Hi MM, Olivier

>Methanol... "wood alcohol" ....is arguably something that can be
>derived as a biofuel even if present-day manufacturing is often from
>fossil fuels.

Certainly it can be a biofuel, and indeed still is, in part, that
fraction that's not made from "natural" gas, anyway - though weho
knows what the fossil-fuel inputs are for the process itself. In the
old days it was made from wood and wood-wastes by destructive
distillation, even on quite a small scale, AFAIK, and quite possibly
it's still done that way in some places, I have heard tell of such
things.

Anyway, a lot of more recent work has been going into new enzymes and
new processes, with promising results so far. Walt Patrick gave us a
run-down on this in previous messages.

http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/29796/