MM,

Before we get too exited about savings by using DC instead of AC, we might
look at where and why we have this large differences in the energy use by
appliances. Let us first establish the fact that a conversion as such, will
cost us between 3 to 10%, depending on method, size and application.

When you talk about appliances, we should also include the AC/Heat pump
unit in this and very large savings can be done. The losses are more
created by the use of electrical engines/compressors, than by the use of
alternate current or direct current. The large differences in energy use
does not come from the type of current, but from the way the capacity
control is done. The revelation control in AC engine used in the appliances
is governed by the fixed AC frequency and the capacity control is done by
starting and stopping the compressor. The revelation control in the DC
engine is governed by voltage/current and the capacity control is done by
varying the speed/force of the engine.  Since you already are very familiar
with electrical engines, you are probably ahead of me now, about the
consequences of the different methods. I will anyway mention that the
consequences can be somewhere between 30 to 45% more energy use by the
capacity control of the AC engine. After the conversation losses, we end up
with around 25-30% difference in energy use for appliances.

In the past it was very large differences cost and durability between the
AC and DC engines, in favor to the AC engines. By new development, these
differences are no longer an critical issue and the energy use have started
to be the absolute critical issue for certain engine applications.

If you look at losses in distribution of DC, we must agree with the much
higher efficiency of AC. One very important issue is also the security
aspects, which more or less totally disqualifies high voltage DC in homes
and for general use in appliances. It is better and more manageable of
security design, if the conversion is done in the appliance and close to
the engine. The large loss of lives, that a general high voltage DC
distribution would cause, is not worth it.

Hakan