Robert, Price was not a racist. He tried to show how many human problems were
not social or racial but rather they are nutritional. An MD, "Frances
Pottenger", wrote a book -- "Pottenger's Cats", that affirms Price's
allegations re nutrition. Quite scary actually. We are 3 to 4 generations into
denatured factory food and paralleling the animal experiment nicely. The animal
population was in deep doo doo gen 5.

Kirk

robert luis rabello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Keith Addison wrote:

> Um, please excuse me Robert... Kirk, Alan, somebody told Robert that
> Weston A. Price was a crank who promoted eugenics. I tried to
> disabuse him of this baseless slander of a great scientist and a
> great human, but it seems apparent he hasn't read "Nutrition and
> Physical Degeneration" yet, and I'm sure you'll agree he definitely
> should! Price had NOTHING to do with eugenics, nor would he, that's a
> really gross misrepresentation of Price's work. Robert, I'm certain
> Kirk and Alan and probably others will agree with me, and that you
> should read Price. Surely you can't believe that any of us would have
> anything to do with someone pushing eugenics? Have you read this?

    I will respond to the rest of the post later on, as I have time, but
I HAD to answer this.  At your recommendation, I DID read Weston Price's
work "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" last summer.  (There was a
BIG controversy in my wife's family about the ensuing discussion.)
Honestly, I liked most of what I read.  His conclusions about people who
suffer from Down's Syndrome raised my eyebrows, and I think that's where
the criticism of his work arose from certain health care professionals
on my wife's side of the family.  (And I don't think they actually read
the book, as I did.)

> Very clear that Manning hasn't read Price either, he wouldn't be so
> negative if he had, and a olot better informed. King's "Farmers of 40
> Centuries" helps too.

    There is a lot of information available, but one has to really dig,
it seems, to counter the prevailing "wisdom" of factory farming in North
America.  Like many pearls of plastic that circulate among less than
polite (read, "racist") discussions concerning poverty and famine, those
"poor brown people" in the south can't produce enough food for
themselves with their "traditional" (read, "backward") farming methods.
I understand these discussions for what they really are, but that's
likely because my family comes from one of those "backward" countries
where those "poor brown people" (many of whom are related to me) work
the soil for a living.  I will look for the King book.  Thanks!

> <snip>
>
> I share your scepticism, as you'll have gathered. But, Robert, what
> downfall is that? We're going strong, indeed we face a whole bunch of
> very urgent and vexing questions and challenges, which could mean the
> end of us and everything if we get it all wrong or just bury our
> heads, but that's nothing new, though the urgency mounts. We haven't
> failed yet, there's no indication that failure is inevitable, there's
> every reason for optimism. News of our demise is premature.

    That is, in essence, my point.  There is no use in hand wringing.
What bothers me the most in all the tangential discussions about food
and fuel is the "plastic pearl" that ONLY industrialized agriculture
will feed our world's people, and further, that we can't possibly "grow
enough food" for our energy needs.  (Of course we can't--we simply can't
afford to WASTE as much as we do.  Oh, but there I go, sounding like a
"conservationist" again!)

    You have read my rantings on the demise of market gardens here in
North America, and the necessity of increased fuel usage that their
decline has wrought.  Personally, I would like the whole system of
farming and food distribution change, but I'm astonished that even local
farmers don't seem to understand the principles outlined in Price and
others.  In discussions with these people, my remarks are almost always
dismissed.  I'm in the education field, not farming, therefore I can't
know ANYTHING about healthy soil, plants and animals. . .

    My garden and landscaping, however, is considerably healthier than
most of the neighboring gardens.  Aside from the horsetail, which is
coming back with a vengeance already, things are starting to look really
good around here.

> Is it? Not that I know of. Could you explain?

    My remarks were rhetorical.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.  How
can grain crops destroy soil in and of themselves when the Chinese have
been growing rice for 40 centuries?

> And are fed what? Grass is grass is grass? No way. Good pasture means
> good everything.

    So I'm learning!

> Stop listening to ADM and Cargill? It's complete crap that we have to
> feed them grain.

    Indeed, but the marketing is intense and the belief systems that
arise from it are very entrenched.  A local company, either "Maple Leaf"
or "Lilydale" actually advertises that its pork and chicken are grain
fed--implying the superiority of grain feeding.  The chickens I remember
from my grandmother's back yard in Brasil scratched around in the garden
and ate bugs!  My grandparents never complained about poor quality
meat.  (But I could never bring myself to eat the chicken . . .)

    Thanks for your remarks, Keith.  I have to upgrade my computer
tomorrow, so I'll be off-line for a couple of days.  (It's a Windoze
thing--you wouldn't understand!!!)  :- )

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/9782