Hello Greg

What's the difference between, say, eating a boiled potato in its
jacket along with a bunch of freshly picked salads, and scarfing a
supersize of the chips Ed was talking about? 'Had the same comment
from someone who went asking at a potato chip factory "oh, we don't
change it [the oil]....we just add some more when it gets low!"'

Free-range pastured cattle will eat seeds, and not only grain seeds,
but that's not all they'll eat. At other times you'll see them
fighting to get at all that twiggy stuff on the other side of the
hedge. Actually they know exactly what they're eating. A cow can tell
a 0.1% Brix difference (sugar content) between two loads of hay -
Brix levels are a quality indicator, not just a sugar content
measure. "Cows are competent chemists" said William Albrecht of
Missouri. More competent than the chemists who formulate the feed for
confinement operations it would seem.

Anyway, let them eat what they want and arrange that for them, and,
sure, they'll eat seeds. Feeding them no choice but grain
concentrates is another matter entirely. It does do bad things to the
consumable item, which happens to be the cow - that's not how a cow's
digestion is made to work. Interesting that it's the grain-fed
confinement cattle that cause the E. coli H157:O7 infections, for
instance. Etc etc etc.

Jo Robinson's "EatWild" site has good information on grass-fed beef:
http://eatwild.com/index.html

Best

Keith