Tim,

I couldn't agree more on the need to drive more sanely, with a good
portion of that being to conserve.  If you come to Indiana, you'll
recognize me as the other guy not exceeding the speed limit.  I
haven't had the luck that you have with staying in the right lane,
but I figure that when folks get irritated with me being so slow,
it's their problem not mine.

I wasn't aware of air travel being so fuel costly.  I guess I always
thought that since so many people were moving at once, it made up
for the large amounts of fuel used to move them.  Part of what I
enjoy in life is to visit other parts of the world and try to get a
look at how others live their lives.  To give up air travel
completely would mean giving up one of the few things I truly enjoy,
as well as something that changes the way that I view the world,
hopefully for the better.  Personally, I think that if more
Americans took advantage of the opportunity to see that we aren't
the only culture on the planet, the world would be a much better
place.

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Lyle,
>
> What I am saying is that it is socially irresponsible to promote
> biofuels without at least an equal effort to promote a SIGNIFICANT
> reduction in consumption on the order of 1/5th the current amount,
> BY ALL OF US.
>
> For example, Jet Air Travel. I am amazed at the number of so-
called
> environmentalists that refuse to give up this particular bad
habit.
> Here we have an industry subsidized with over 18 times the amount
> allowed for super efficient train travel.
>
> Average BTU consumed Per Passenger mile by mode of travel:
>
> SUV: 4,591
> Air: 4,123
> Bus: 3,729
> Car: 3,672
> Train: 2,138
>
> Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics
> http://199.79.179.77/publications/nts/index.html
>
> Another example, folks insist on racing from red light to red
light
> as fast as possible, and when on highways and freeways routinely
> speed 20 to 30 mph above posted speed limits. The cops have given
up
> trying to enforce speed limits (a whole other rant) so the race is
> on. Now everyone knows the faster one goes the more fuel is
> consumed, yet bring up the idea of restoring the 55 MPH speed
limit,
> and enforcing existing speed limits, and watch the so-called
> environmentalists scurry for cover like roaches when the lights
come
> on.
>
> This one simple measure could reduce consumption, emmissions &
> reliance on imported oil 20% to 50%! Visit the Drive 55
Conservation
> website to read several reports and articles in support of this
> claim: http://drive55.org/pn/index.php
>

> So, all that said, and seeing as you "fundamentally agree" with
> my "conservation message" - what commitments are you prepared to
> make to reduce your personal consumption of energy?
>
> I refuse to fly in jet airplanes now. I plan better and stick to
> surface transportation.
>
> When I drive my 78 300D, I obey speed limits, rarely exceeding 55
> MPH. By staying in the right lane I have found this very easy as
> that is the maximum for trucks here in California. Guess what,
> McDonalds BRAGS about sticking to 55 MPH with stickers on their
> trucks!
>
> I have replaced every light bulb in my home with 13 watt
> flourescents and installed dual pane windows among the ongoing
> efforts.
>
> I ride my bike whenever possible for most trips to the store,
bank,
> and other errands. I even take it on the light rail when I go
> downtown.
>
> When I shop I pay close attention to the source of the products I
> buy, and always choose locally produced goods if possible.
>
> I share this message with everyone I meet, along with the
> information I have about cellulosic ethanol, biodiesel, and other
> types of biofuel as a PART of the equation.
>
> I will say this very plainly again now: It is socially
irresponsible