Hey Keith,

I spent several months after high school, in the 70s, in Europe with
a backpack.  Travel was all by train and foot.  It wasn't too much
of a departure from the culture in which I was raised, but enough to
raise my awareness that not everyone in the world lived or thought
the way that I do.  Since that time, visiting other lands/cultures
and watching people has been my favorite activity.  In my current
situation, it is not done slowly the way that I did as a teenager.
I am able to stretch things to have 11 or 12 days at a time, not 3
or 4 months.  I therefore wouldn't be able to travel if I didn't fly
to where I want to go and then slow down from there.  I don't do
luxury hotels and such, though.  One thing that I learned in Europe
is that if you want to have any inkling of an idea of the people
whose land you are visiting, you need to stay where they stay.  I
also don't find any people that I enjoy traveling with or learn much
from at the local 5 star hotel.  I could afford it if that was what
I wanted, but I just find a lot more life in the lower rent
districts.  I guess that life is what I'm looking for.

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Brian, Tim and all
>
> >Tim,
> >
> >I couldn't agree more on the need to drive more sanely, with a
good
> >portion of that being to conserve.  If you come to Indiana, you'll
> >recognize me as the other guy not exceeding the speed limit.  I
> >haven't had the luck that you have with staying in the right lane,
> >but I figure that when folks get irritated with me being so slow,
> >it's their problem not mine.
> >
> >I wasn't aware of air travel being so fuel costly.  I guess I
always
> >thought that since so many people were moving at once, it made up
> >for the large amounts of fuel used to move them.  Part of what I
> >enjoy in life is to visit other parts of the world and try to get
> >look at how others live their lives.  To give up air travel
> >completely would mean giving up one of the few things I truly
enjoy,
> >as well as something that changes the way that I view the world,
> >hopefully for the better.  Personally, I think that if more
> >Americans took advantage of the opportunity to see that we aren't
> >the only culture on the planet, the world would be a much better
> >place.
>
> I'm sure you're right about that, but I'm sure it applies to
> everybody, not just Americans. But especially to Americans? Well,
yes
> or no, I won't argue about that. The trouble is that air travel at
> current levels with current practices isn't very sustainable, the
> "externalisations" are horrendous. The externalisations of the
> tourist industry are also horrendous. The local externalisations
of
> just a single airport are horrendous (there's something in the
> archives about that). I guess the WW2 British slogan "Is your
journey
> really necessary?" applies, or should do, and the answer a lot of
the
> time has to be "No", whether it's a business trip or a package
> holiday. For a family visit like Kim's, family visits are
necessary
> and good, and the time restrictions are real enough, but I don't
> think it'd be like that if air-travel wasn't just assumed and
> automatically factored in by the powers-that-be who calculate how
> much "free" time we're to be granted. As for "holidays":
>
> "The average 15,000 cubic metres of water needed to irrigate one
> hectare of high-yielding modern rice is enough for 100 nomads and
450
> cattle for three years, or 100 rural families for three years, or
100
> urban families for two years. The same amount can supply 100
luxury
> hotel guests for just 55 days." (UN Food and Agriculture
Organization
> -- FAO.) Tip of the iceberg.
>
> It's arguable whether many tourist holidays do anything to broaden
> the mind. They're just another consumable these days, but it
didn't
> used to be that way, and that wasn't very long ago. People used to
> travel from Hong Kong to Britain and back by flying boat if they
were
> in a hurry. It took a few days, but nobody complained. (Ah, but
the
> pace of life is faster now - is it really? Not just a delusion?)
When
> they weren't in such a hurry they went by ship. They used to
travel
> from South Africa or Australia to Britain and Europe by ocean
liner.
> Now there are no such ships, just cruise-liners, another
consumable.

> Tim mentioned US subsisides for air-travel as opposed to trains
(18
> times), and there's no good reason that trains should be a poor
> cousin. Not for goods transport either - I agree with Todd about
> airfreight. In Europe (and China) huge amounts of goods go by
canal,
> it doesn't seem to render their economies uncompetitive, not
> everything has to be there yesterday. The system's rigged all
wrong
> where what must be large amounts of non-urgent goods go by air
> anyway. As for people, I had a friend who said jet-lag was a myth,
> that's not what happened at all she said. "My body might go by
jet,
> but my spirit goes by train, and it takes a whole week to catch
up. I
> think I'll stay with my spirit and take the train." Which in her
case
> happened to be the Trans-Siberian Express. I think she's right,
but
> I'd take it further - air-travel is a myth. You can't travel on a
> Boeing - you might be going somewhere but any travelling you might
> get to do won't start until after you arrive, if you're in any
> condition for it. How can an airborne cattle-truck with no leg-
room
> compare with the Trans-Siberian Express? Or an ocean liner? I like
> flying, if it's in a Cessna or something, but Boeings remind me of
> those old-fashioned office communications systems powered by
> compressed air - you get shoved into a capsule and stuck in a
pipe,
> there's a whooshing sound and then you're spat out the other end
all
> crumpled up. What fun. The transportation used to be an integral
part
> of your travelling adventures, now we've cashed that bit in for a
bit
> of "saved" time while the planet takes heavy damage for it.
>
> So what to do? Something, surely. What's wrong with flying boats
> anyway? You and Tim do slow driving, we have slow food, a good
> movement growing not slowly, here in Japan we've helped start
a "slow
> fuel" movement with biodiesel (it translates better in Japanese,
> loses the potential "less power" implication), why not slow
travel?
> The steam clubs pay lots of money to ride on steam trains in
India,
> and I think in China and elsewhere. Anybody got a spare Yankee
> Clipper or a Catalina maybe?
>
> What you say about travel broadening the mind though... I read a
> futuristic novel long ago which had some such thing as a minor
theme.
> Everybody spent a year or two or more travelling, it was more or
less
> compulsory but didn't need any enforcing, everyone accepted it,
and
> there was a good infrastructure for it, worldwide. Such an
> infrastructure wouldn't cost much, even if most of it were free,
> which I think it was - fares, hostels and so on. This was between
> school and college, or maybe between college and starting working
> life, and it was based on backpacking. Nobody flew anywhere, all
> surface stuff, and no hurry. A lot of people do that now, since
the
> 60s especially, but it's small-scale and not very "serious"
because
> they're cheapos, not something the industry can climb aboard. I
did
> it, at the end of the sixties, if for different reasons (I got
> arrested and had to flee), very important part of my life, and
> actually I never really stopped after that. When I fled I flew, I
was
> definitely in a hurry, but not after that, trains and boats and
> buses, and boots, and thumb. Travelling, yeah. Flying? Naah. I
only
> do it now if I don't have a choice. There's not nearly enough
choice.

> Best wishes
>
> Keith
>

> >Brian
> >
> >--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi Lyle,
> > >
> > > What I am saying is that it is socially irresponsible to
promote
> > > biofuels without at least an equal effort to promote a
SIGNIFICANT