Hello Bill

Keith,

I don't mean to sound trite, but what is the price or cost of freedom
(democracy)? 31, 33 or 51% of the worlds military budget isn't
pertinent.

Diesel Bill

You'll have to define "freedom (democracy)" before I can answer that. But everybody knows what it means? Maybe so, but what exactly do you mean by it? You haven't been here very long, but long enough to know that the list will not accept mere labellings which might be little more than convenient cloaks thrown over a host of sins.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"?

There are a lot, really a lot, of people who now have that kind of freedom because Washington has insisted on its kind of freedom, whether of the neocon or the neo-liberal variety or several other varieties, and it doesn't include the millions who didn't survive it.

Might it have something to do with this (from the list rules): "Like any community, your rights end where those of others begin"?

Is it something that some people (big, strong ones perhaps) can hold (or squander) at the expense of others in the world community? That's what the vast majority of the world community thinks, and says so, very loudly - though many American ears are deaf to it.

Results of previous PIPA/Knowledge Networks poll:

- 59% [of Americans polled] were unaware that the majority of world public opinion is opposed to the US war with Iraq

What does "freedom (democracy)" have to do with this, for instance, among a vast embarrassment of such riches?

"... It [the smoking gun memo leaked to the London Sunday Times, about which the "liberal" (LOL!) US mainstream media have been so quiet] means that our president and all of his administration are war criminals. It's as simple as that. They lied to the American people, have killed and injured and traumatized thousands of American men and women doing their patriotic duty, killed at least 100,000 Iraqi civilians, destroyed Iraq's infrastructure and poisoned its environment, squandered billions and billions of our tax dollars, made a mockery of American integrity in the world, changed the course of history, tortured Iraqi prisoners, and bound us intractably to an insane situation that they have no idea how to fix because they had no plan, but greed and empire, in the first place." -- From: "Administration's offenses impeachable" by Robert Shetterly 06/02/05 "Bangor Daily News"

The secret Downing Street memo:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html

What does it have to do with this?

"List of International Obligations violated by George W. Bush" [actually not only by George W. Bush]
http://www.motherearth.org/bushwanted/laws.php#rogue

What does it have to do with Henry David Thoreau's ideas of freedom and democracy, some of which I just posted in this thread? http://sustainablelists.org/pipermail/biofuel_sustainablelists.org/200 5-June/000213.html

What does it have to do with this?
http://sustainablelists.org/pipermail/biofuel_sustainablelists.org/200 5-June/000223.html

Once we can agree on what "freedom (democracy)" really means I'll be happy to answer your question, if you're still willing to ask it.

Best wishes