On 10/15/05, Brian Rodgers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I do recall that that ambient humidity messes with the methoxide
mixing. Should I wait until the rain quits to continue with the
experiment?

Lye is hygroscopic; it absorbs water quite readily.

Yeah, I'd suggest waiting for it to quit raining, as ambient humidity increases will throw off your measurement of lye on both a mass and volumetric basis because of absorption into the pellets or grains.

Now if the humidity in your house is still low, you could always quickly measure it out and put it in a sealed container with your methanol, then hustle outside to mix it; I use Mason jars to mix my methoxide in for test batches.

-K