ReZn0r,

All chemical reactions, in one way shape or form, are reactions of
equilibrium. And the results of many reactions are less than desired if
the chemical balance is only  one of stoichiometric balance. Hence the
need on many occasions to use excess amounts of one chemical or another
in an equation to drive the reaction in the direction desired.

Relative to allowing enough time for the glycerol cocktail (glycerin,
methanol, excess catalyst and soap) to settle out of the first stage
before conducting the second?

Without controlled testing to quantify the differences between
trials/samples, about all that can be said is that the presence of
glycerol will naturally attract some of the methanol (like seeks like),
as might whatever fraction of soap is present, possibly preventing an
unknown fraction of the methanol from randomly interacting with the
unconverted glycerides as it might have normally had the first stage
been allowed to settle sufficiently.

The same holds true for the catalyst, as some water is generated in a
transesterification. This small amount largely settles out with
everything else in a base reaction. As the catalyst is hydrophyllic, its
first tendency is to gravitate towards water, which in turn will bind up
a small portion rather than allowing it to perform its function.

All this is done in microscopic amounts and may not amount to any
discernible difference between samples that have settled twelve hours or
samples that have settled six. There is really only one way to determine
whether or not there is any "significant" difference between the two end
results. That would be to conduct the testing.

On a firsthand note, as we don't use two-stage base processing, opting
instead for acid/base processing. As a result, we're not exactly in a
position to inform you definitively one way or the other. It's also
rather doubtful that very many people are in such a position, if only
for the reason that it would take some rather controlled experimentation
and the majority probably don't have the time or facilities to conduct
such testing.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to conduct
some basic/crude testing at your own leisure to see if you can discern
any noticeable difference.

A fair guess is that you wouldn't notice much, if any. Perhaps what
another question might be is "Do you really have need of expediting a
process?" If so, such as in an industrial/commercial environment,
testing might hold more validity for you than other bears of average brain.

Todd Swearingen