Chip,

>> But, I suppose the important and "inconvenient truth" in this matter is
>> that
>> Al is a politician--period.  Actions speak MUCH MUCH louder than words..
>
> Nonsense, they most certainly do not.

Then we can all rest easy...Big Business is going to help...and they "care"

"...At ExxonMobil, we work to balance these different needs. It's why we
have invested more than $74 billion in the past five years to expand energy
supplies. It's why we have promoted energy efficiency in our industry. It's
why we have developed leading-edge technology partnerships. It's why we
continue to invest so much in research - both into existing energy
technologies for the short term and into new technologies for the decades
ahead. And it's why we initiated the largest privately funded
low-greenhouse-gas-energy research effort in history. By balancing all of
these different energy demands, we will be able to address one of the
greatest challenges of our age."
http://exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Citizenship/CCR5/index.asp

So...since they talk the talk...all is good?  Of course not...it is what
they are actually doing that matters.  Same thing...different
venue...different actors.

> Walking the talk in this particular arena, *almost* by definition
> translates into having very little if *any* political power.

Easy enough for Mr. Gore...he doesn't have much political power right now,
so he should be walking the walk pretty well.  :-)

> But until Al took the show on the road, who heard
> it?

Millions of people...but they haven't heard (until recently) why it actually
affects them and why they should care.  All of my family and friends,
co-workers and acquaintances know about the issues...the movie didn't change
that.

> Al has broadened the audience, very much so.
> In the year since documentary was released, I personally
> (from this US centric view) have been just flat out
> stunned by the shift in the dialog.

The shift (from my point of view) was happening long before the movie hit
the theaters.  I do not know anyone personally that was affected by the
movie.  That doesn't mean it didn't influence other people, but I think its
influence is overrated. (Just my opinion based on personal observation)

> Fact is, Al Gore (whom I used to refer to as the Manchurian
> Candidate) was *almost* president of the US. Some say he
> in fact was elected to the office. This I will not debate,
> because there really is no point. However, you don't get
> to be president by living a low impact life. There are
> a number of brilliant folks living low impact lifestyles
> out there, some of which would no doubt be up to the task
> of directing the show here in the US. However, we'll not
> hear from them, because they are busy. Busy living
> low impact lives. It is a lot of effort, as any of
> us who are expending effort in this direction know quite well.

I would generally say that most people that are NOT involved in politics are
too busy living to be heard from.  That's life.  However, you can be a world
leader without living a high impact life...a couple examples come quickly to
mind...Gandhi....Mother Theresa...and I would not rate "top" US politicians
in the same category.  Since Mr. Gore has significant financial resources,
he could try demonstrating that you can have an impact on the issue at hand,
without being so easily criticized for hypocrisy by not living the message.
Why let controversy about the messenger get in the way of the message when
it can so easily be avoided?

> As to his energy holdings, make note of the sad fact that
> money is fungible. Folks who hold interest in diversified
> funds, all hold bits and pieces of energy companies. Some
> more than others. The more you are vested, the more influence
> you have. If you have no influence, then who cares what you
> think?

Then why care what most of the people of the world think, if they are not
rich and "vested?"

--Randall