On May 2, 2007, at 5:59 PM, shawn patrick wrote:

> I have a question about the purity of Isopropyl alcohol.
> Will 90% yield good results or does it have to be 99%??

The other responses are technically correct -- however, the
isopropanol is only being used as a solvent for the FFAs in
the oil you're testing, so it's not very critical. I had some
gas-dry isopropanol that started to get slightly acidic after
several months in the bottle. I started titrating the isopropanol
first (without the oil), then adding the oil and titrating again.
Worked fine, and added 20 sec. to the process.

-K