  From: Zeke Yewdall
  To: biofuel@sustainablelists.org
  Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Isopropyl Alcohol supplies - Used to be
Titrationquestion from a Newbie

  It seems that hydroponics stores carry very pure isopropyl alcohol as well.
I seem to remember a price of about $40 for one US gallon for the  99.5% stuff,
which is similar to the price you found though.

  On 5/14/07, Thomas Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    Andrew,

    > Now all of this rests upon me getting my alcohols right, so search, at
    > the top of the page, for "isopropyl" at this site, www.rsaustralia.com .
    > This gives a range of container sizes. There is also an MSDS at:
    >
    > http://docs-asia.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0065/0900766b80065e94.pdf
    >
    > Have I found the right stuff? Assuming I've got the right stuff, it's a
    > lot easier to get 99.7% IPA from an electronics place than a chemical
    > supply place. Electronics places are probably a lot more common as well.

         Isopropanol is what you want for titrating WVO; Isopropanol = Isopropyl
    Alcohol.
         Although 99.7% is very good purity, $16.90 (AUD?) for 500 ml quoted at
    www.rsaustralia.com   is a bit expensive.  If you have had success with
small
    test batches using virgin oil and are ready to move on to WVO (and
    titration) it is probably worth it to get the best quality isopropanol you
    can find and afford. While you are using the expensive Isopropanol keep a
    heads up for a cheaper source.
         As I said, I use a gas line antifreeze called "Iso-Heet". It is
    available at auto supply stores here in the US for about $2 (USD) for 335ml.
    Other gas antifreeze/de-watering products may also be isopropanol.

                                             Best of Luck to You,
                                                            Tom

    > messages):

messages):