Guys;

The titration solution is water anyways so what difference is 10% water gonna make in the IPA? The water is always a problem cuz it makes the oil want to drop out and unless you've got good agitation I wonder how accurate the titration really is. I've been wondering what about using a 0.1% w/v solution of KOH in IPA as a titration solution instead. In this case anhydrous IPA would make sense. Thoughts?

Joe

Thomas Kelly wrote:

Mike Weaver wrote:

Look for 99% anhydrous iso

Where?

Look for 99% anhydrous iso

Thomas Kelly wrote:

Andrew,
I thought that "rubbing alcohol" (isopropyl) sold at pharmacies was 70%. I just noticed that a container of isopropyl alcohol in our bathroom cabinet was 91%. It was purchased at a local pharmacy; 1 quart (950ml) for $2.49 (USD). Ken P. commented that purity wasn't critical. I'm not so sure about 70%, but 90+% might be OK. You can't beat the price. Tom