Joe,
As you say:
>The titration solution is water anyways so what difference is 10% water >gonna
>make in the IPA?  The water is always a problem cuz it makes the >oil want to
>drop out and unless you've got good agitation ......

   IPA  ????   India Pale Ale?
   Oooooh   IsoPropylAlcohol

   When a  WVO  titrates at 2ml  of 0.1% lye, you have just added 2ml of water.
You have increased the water concentration by 15%.(?)
     That is the very reason why I like to start with the driest isopropanol.

     Ken P wrote that it is only the FFAs that have to dissolve in the IPA.
That was why he felt the IPA purity wasn't critical.

    All things being equal (price/ease of obtaining) I go for anhydrous IPA.
This,
I think is good advice for newbies  .....  the original post.

>I've been wondering what about using a 0.1% w/v solution of KOH in >IPA as a
>titration solution instead.

      Very interesting. Why not?
       I may have a Liter of IPA. I'm tempted to try it  .... but I wonder why.
I've been making consistently good BD titrating w. aqueous KOH solution and
using 95% IPA that I get for a couple of dollars.

>In this case anhydrous IPA would make sense.  Thoughts?

      Actually, I think anhydrous IPA would be less important.

                                                   Tom