On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Terry Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dave,
> I had to come back to this email to ask you a few questions about your post.
>
> 1. Where did you get any of this information from?
> 2. What are you talking about, "The problem for the home brewer
>  is that water in the ethanol tends to fall out when gasoline is added."
> Where did you get this info?  Have you tried this and saw it happen?

I (Dave) suggested denaturing with a drop of gasoline.  Joe cited that
if you're going to run something around the range of E85 that
denaturing would be a foregone conclusion.  I (Dave) do not know much
of what happens with respect to water/gasoline/ethanol when mixed in
terms of water "dropping out".  I do know that when I consume ethanol
I tend to produce a fair bit of water... but that is off topic.

As far as the home brewer is concerned, the only issues I can think of
when dealing with ethanol is that a still, even under vacuum, will
produce a maximum  azeotrope of ethanol/water around 96%/4%
respectively.  I know that industrial fuel distilleries use a process
with silica gel to remove the remaining water.

As far as I can guess, if someone is distilling ethanol that it's
really easy to get a higher percent of water and that would cause
problems down the line at some point.  Getting the highest
concentration of ethanol in a still requires quite a bit of attention
along with good equipment.  There is a reason that industrial fuel
distilleries use very tall column stills.  Not your average back woods
moonshine setup.

> I have mixed hundreds of gallons of ethanol (150 - 190 proof) with various
> ratios to gasoline.  I have let several set in a test tube jar so that marked
> levels can be watched.  The only thing that I can say that we saw was the
> gasoline evaporating.
>
> Methanol - there is a reason that this is not used for the general public.
> Its not friendly on your hands, your fuel system, but mostly, the air/fuel is
> way off.

Word.