--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "waynehet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having a little trouble with a svg document created in Illustrator
> that I need to adjust to reflect some external data.  I'm applying a XSL
> transformation in .NET to update the node attributes (particularly fill
> color).  Everything works fine except for some whitespace in
> particularly long <d> attributes.

> <path id="Section5" fill="#BFDAB6" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="0.216"
> d="M306.694,&#xD;&#xA;

> The transformation has inserted "&#xD;&#xA" for the whitespace in the
> attribute value.  I've tried everything but cannot seem to find a way to
> get rid of this.  Of course it messes up the viewer and my nice svg
> document will not display.

I have looked into it and made some test cases, first a static SVG
document
<http://www34.brinkster.com/libertydevelop/svg/test2006080501.svg>
then a classic ASP page that uses MSXML 4 to do an identity XSLT
transformation on that SVG document and output the result to the browser
<http://www34.brinkster.com/libertydevelop/svg/test2006080501.asp>
then an ASP.NET 1 page that use XslTransform to do an identity XSLT
transformation on that SVG document and output the result to the browser
<http://www34.brinkster.com/libertydevelop/svg/test2006080501.aspx>

Firefox 1.5 and Opera 9 render the SVG from all three URLs without
problems, IE 6 with Adobe SVG viewer 3 renders only the SVG from the
first two URLs without problems, Batik Squiggle 1.6 renders all three
URLs without problems.
So your "Of course it messes up the viewer" is a bit strong, three SVG
viewers do fine with the &#xD;&#xA; character references in the
attribute value, only Adobe SVG viewer does somehow not like that.
If you inspect the output from the classic ASP page then you see that
MSXML 4 uses only &#xA; in the attribute value and Adobe SVG viewer
consumes that just fine.

I will have a look as .NET's XslTransform class to find out whether it
can be configured to use &#xA; instead of &#xD;&#xA; to escape line
breaks in attribute values. If that is not possible then I am afraid
you will have to use a different XSLT processor. Or forget about Adobe
SVG viewer :).