On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Chris Sedlmayr <ch...@sedlmayr.co.uk> wrote:

> I can't say that i've ever found groups to be an easy way to find
> information, and generally the posts I moderate seem to re-appear.
> People are struggling to find what they are looking for and I don't
> necessarily think that splitting it would help as we had the same
> problem pre Symfony2.
>
> I would be more inclined to concentrate on improving and adding to the
> Forum and slowly moving away from Groups.
>
> Not sure on other's thoughts here though.

I greatly prefer mailing lists to forums (not the biggest fan of google
groups, but hey), but what I really, really like is when communities'
mailing lists and forums are mirrors of each other.

http://mail2forum.com/ seems to be the canonical way to do this with phpbb
forums.

Ideally, I'd want to see symfony-legacy and  symfony mailing lists connected
with mail2forum or similar. Then everyone can stay current with everything
with their preferred interface, and the community doesn't get fragmented,
and most people don't know or care that that's even going on.  I don't see a
reason (other than setup overhead) to not represent the data from
conversations on the list in different frontends -- separation of concerns
and all that ;)

security at symfony-project.com