But why be dead right? If special clothing has to be worn with the intent of being
seen by drivers,
then maybe a route farther away from auto traffic needs to be found. I think bright
clothing gives
some runners a false sense of security.

Having grown up in the South Suburbs of Chicago, I've had numerous run ins with cars
and
pedestrians. While in college, I was surprised at the number of run ins I had on
country roads - not
just with aggressive car loads of teenagers - but from the grandmas and grandpas who
wouldn't yell
or throw anything at us, but seemed set on making me/us dead right.

For the last 20 years, most of my runs have been in the evening and in the dark,
particularly in the
winter months. People ask me if I ware reflective tape or material on my running gear.
I tell them
no, because I don't want to be a visible moving target.