On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 March 2010 07:56, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I disagree! Be careful not to be condescending to other mappers, and
>
> I'm not being condescending, but realistic, accidents happen and
> people do bad things on purpose.
>
>> please don't be "protective" of the data that you could otherwise make
>> available. We're all just as sensible as you.
>
> That would be nice, but there is always bad apples and accidents.
>
>> It's good to discuss when and how imports should be made, but not good
>> to discuss who should be allowed or denied access to that data on the
>> basis of how "zealous" they may or may not be.
>
> Being a little protective will save a lot of hassle undoing the damage later.

Hi, I'll just jump in here :)
Hopefully, one of these days the City of Victoria, BC will open up
their data also. :-)

Anyway, i'd recommend using a GoogleDocs spreadsheet & listing all of
the available .osm files.
and listing those users who are the ones who are improting the data.
... and just invite all of the interested mappers to become editors to
this spreadsheet.

I highly recommend the approach of the local area mapper is the one
who actually adds in the data, rather than just 1 person dropping the
files remotely. ... as it's the local area mappers who care the most
about the data quality.  And knows what data is the most accurate &
relevant.

I'd recommend processing the .osm files 1 level further & dividing it
up in regional areas. .. so its more manageable.  I dont know if you
have NTS type tiles, but a similar approach by using a grid, and all
the data for that grid is available.

Here's what we've found (in Canada) is that i went ahead and dropped
in some test areas on Vancouver Island, just to get some feedback on
what specifically the tags should be.
We found that there was considerable duplicate nodes as well as extra
tags that aren't really needed.

So the solution is what i mentioned above, by splicing up the area
into smaller quadrants, then only the local area mappers will be the
one who actually "copies-in" the data.
... i dont really like the term 'importing'  as this method is not
actually 'importing' but rather, enhancing the local area with more
data that is available.

In our case, for the Province of Ontario, we have a whole TONNE of
data available, from the Federal Government, as well as each city is
starting to open up their data.   The resault is that we have multiple
datasets of 'trail data' (for example).
So the best solution is that we actually convert ALL of the data thats
available to .osm files.  And we also make the data available as .gpx
files.  So we can overlay the .osm files to the local area that we are
working on, then simply 'enhance' the area with the best data from
each of the sources.

The end result will be a much better map, because it's local area
mappers that are enhancing the map.   The data that is available from
the different sources, will not be as good as good as what the local
area mapper knows of the area.

... it's also a good reason to host mapping parties for each local
area.  So then for those areas that are a bit remote, the team of
people can divide up and claim the areas that they want & enhance the
map.

... if the data doesn't end up getting used until a year from now,
that's no big deal.  The data is available to us for our use, it
should really be up to local area mappers to decide on what data to
use to enhance the map.    ... sometimes the old fashioned way (manual
mapping) proves to be better :)

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans