Using the analogy of highways, the local name would take priority (e.g. name of
fire trail), other otherwise-unnamed sections would take the route name.

Doesn’t necessarily apply to tracks of course. When I surveyed the Great North
Walk 4 years ago from Cowan to Epping Road
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/88292947 I applied the name to some of
the paths. I recall there being wooden signs with the Great North Walk name
present, so I took this to be the name of the path.

Mark P.