As far as I know Nominatim contains a copy of either the CodePoint Open or
ONS postcodes in a table called gb_postcode (see here
<https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=gb_postcode>on
github). Here's a search
<http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search.php?q=SW1A+2AA&polygon=1&viewbox=50.62692%2C-1.27716%2C50.62930%2C-1.27183>for
a well-known postcode, and one can see similar postcodes from the search
too. So the base data is there.

However, it seems fairly hit or miss what it finds. For instance SW1A 1AA
is not picked up, but my previous example SW1A 2AA is. There are clearly
problems with name collisions: M30 ### postcodes seem to get resolved to a
road in Hungary. There are some known bugs with the search such as this one
<https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/4910>. AFAIK none of the current
principal maintainers of Nominatim (ie lonvia) lives in Britain. Surely the
most useful thing would be to resolve this in the Nominatim code base.

The second most useful thing would be for people to add postcodes in OSM.
We have, I think, somewhere between 5 & 10% of postcodes in OSM. Very
roughly we doubled the number of postcodes in the past 3 years, which if
continued would suggest 2041 as a rough date for completing them.

Jerry