In addition to the legal agreement between contributors and the OSMF and the
copyright FAQs, the Google Maps terms deal with copying from Google into
some other database, prohibiting not only derivative works but explicitly
prohibiting "[using] [Google Maps] to create a database of places."

In some cases Google may be using imagery from a third party in which case
they would also be involved, and some imagery companies have been aggressive
in protecting their rights.

If someone has copied Google or other sources that are not permitted they
should come clean, to the DWG if necessary. It is less messy to clean things
up sooner than later.