On 4/29/19 4:11 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
brad <bradha...@fastmail.com> writes:

It seems that plain language can be used here, and from the Oxford
dictionary, a park is:
No.  Plain language cannot be used to define what tags mean.  Each tag
is actually a codepoint, not human language, and needs a definition.
That is fundamental to how tagging works in OSM.
Agreed, but the tag language should be close to human language where possible

Why not simply call anything which is a 'large public area for
recreation', a park, and specify it additionally with additional tags?
Because we have existing norms, and it is not generally a good idea to
ask that tagging of thousands of objects be thrown out and redone.
OK, but I think that's what you're asking for if county parks, state parks, and large city parks can't be tagged as parks.