On 2/5/2020 9:49 AM, Eric Christensen via Talk-us wrote:

For the record, my team(s) has many cartographic resources at our
fingertips that we can use for search and rescue including, but not
limited to: USGS 7.5' maps, National Park Service maps, OSM, Google
maps, state and local GIS data, and several options for aerial imagery.

It's great to hear from a data consumer! It would seem to be useful to be able to create some sort of meta-marking about regions of data quality in OSM, meaning that "This area has excellent detail", "this area has road geometry only", and "this area hasn't been detailed and minor roads are known to have poor road geometry", which would somehow be indicated in your app.

If you consider an urban search and rescue team's mission, and a large
scale event, buildings on a map can be extremely helpful for planning
and operations where the accountability of many directed searches of
structures is imperative.

That's good information - I sometimes wonder if there's a use for buildings in OSM other than GIS queries for average household square footage.

I say all this to really say to all those that go the extra mile to map
a trail (and determine if it's just a walking trail or maybe something
big enough to get an ATV, vehicle, or horse through), add a stream,
outline a dangerous cliff, add a building, align a roadway, mark the
bathrooms at your local park, and so many other tedious, small things
that seem to be totally innocuous...  thank you!

I'm really happy that some local outdoor /history enthusiasts have been exploring and detail mapping all the dirt roads and trails in the nature reserve-rich parts of our county. If the rest of our group adds the rest of the buildings and driveways, it will be a great resource for the area.