A couple of days ago I wanted to register with some site... ah, yes, it was
Hutch.  I was okay about setting up a username and password, but they
offered me the ability to authenticate via Facebook - three clicks and I was
done.  Very, very easy and didn't trigger my personal (admittedly quite
high) privacy issue paranoia, since I got to make decisions about the areas
of my profile to which I was granting Hutch access.

Given that what the OSM wants (if I've understood this correctly) is:
1. That a new user walks through some process that shows them the terms and
conditions so that they can make an informed decision to accept,
2. That the OSM has a clear an unambiguous way to identify and contact that
user in the event of vandalism (or for other important, non-spam needs),
...then might FB and/or Twitter authentication be an option (and note that I
say "option", not The One True Way to register)?

Just a thought :)

On 7 August 2010 08:46, Nick Black <nickbla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So let's bring this back to people who want to create tools to make it
> easier for everyone to participate in OSM. How can we get past the problems
> and make it easy for people to map?
>
> Auth and new mappers workshop ++
>
> Nick
>
> On 7 Aug 2010, at 01:03, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 7:43 AM, John Smith < <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>
> deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7 August 2010 08:56, Frederik Ramm < <frede...@remote.org>
>> frede...@remote.org> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > Nothing to do with copyright, and thus completely irrelevant in this
>> > discussion.
>>
>> Wikimedia is claiming fair use, sounds like a copyright argument to me.
>>

> Nope. FBI's problem with Wikipedia has nothing to do with copyright. The
> work in question, the FBI seal, is the work of the U.S. Federal Government
> which would make it public domain and thus there is no copyright in the
> first place. FBI's problem is that people might make fake FBI badges and
> stuff like that because Wikipedia provides a high-quality SVG image of the
> seal.

Ben Last
Development Manager (HyperWeb)
NearMap Pty Ltd