----- Original Message ----- From: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <ava...@gmail.com>
To: "OpenStreetMap blather" <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:06 AM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Can I say "yes" to the ODbL if I can't account for 100%of my data?

Back in 2006 I wrote the following when it still wasn't clear what the
ODbL acceptance terms would be like:

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 22:10, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
If someone presents me with a boolean "Do you allow relicensing under
the ODbL" I'll have to say no because some of my edits are derived
from CC-BY-SA data I don't have permission to license (and I probably
can't even recall what all of it is).

Which'll mean nuking >50% of all the data in Iceland most of which
I've touched at some point.

I've been away for a while. But it seems to me from reading the terms
that I can't say yes to them in good faith, not because I don't want
to, but because I remember I derived a few things from external
CC-BY-SA, and I can't now recall what they were (and this was before
we had changeset comments).

What are my options in that situation? Do I either have to see all my
work removed because I can't account for 100% of my edits or lie on
the ODbL acceptance form?

I am afraid that the only honest position you can take is to not agree to the CT's. However, we don't yet know whether this will mean "all your work will be removed", because we don't yet know what will happen to the contributions of those users who have not agreed to the CT's

Regards

David