On 16/06/2011 18:00, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
You can also put this information in the change-set-comment. IMHO this
is where this belongs to. AFAIK the source-tag is disputed and it is
recommended to use the changeset comments.

The problem with the changeset "source" tag is that there's no granularity - one tag applies to the whole edit. Presumably the only time that this would be valid would be an entirely armchair tracing session with no local knowledge and no other on-the-ground evidence (surely not recommended) or an import (which should surely afterwards be tidied up with local knowledge anyway).

Using changeset comments is even worse; it's just a bunch of text associated with a particular edit. If I wanted to know the source for updates for the Pennine Way (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/63872) I'd need to fetch the relation history (not feasible via the API I suspect), fetch 209 changeset details, and manually parse a lump of English text in each one for something that might be a "source".

Cheers,
Andy