On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Graham Stewart (GrahamS)
<gra...@dalmuti.net> wrote:

> and that the source tag is certainly recommended, but not enforced.

There is no such thing as an "enforced tag" in OSM. If you choose not
to use a tag then that is your choice. Not using a source tag when
basing your mapping on an external source is a poor choice. And not
just for copyright reasons. It also lets other mappers know how much
to trust the data. When I come across data that seems like it might be
a little off to me I treat things that have a source=survey tag much
differently than things that have a source=<random import> tag.

Toby