On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> As for the obligations of board members, while they are generally not
> allowed to act in a way which harms the organization of which they are
> a board member, and are not allowed to *use, for personal purposes,
> confidential information* which they obtained via their status as a
> board member, they are under absolutely no obligation to act in the
> best interests of the [strikethrough]board[/strikethrough] [organization] in
> everything they do!  That would be
> absurd.

Really, I'm not sure how you can even make that claim, unless you
haven't thought about what it means.  When a board member eats dinner,
should the board member consider whether eating a cheeseburger or
salad is in the best interests of OSMF, given their relative prices
and health effects?  After all, that decision *will* affect OSMF, both
in terms of how much money the board member is able to donate (*), and
in terms of the life expectancy of the board member.

(*) Presumably, if they are obligated to always act in the best
interests of the OSMF, then they should be donating every spare penny
which isn't needed for sustaining their life.

Yes, this is absurd.  But saying that board members must always act in
the best interest of the organization on which they serve, is absurd.