On Friday 27 February 2015, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:

> There seems to have been a similar effort for canals.
> See http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/45992170/history
> The original import was apparently dumped in without regard to OSM's
> structure.
> The fixup changeset added "waterway=canal" and the somewhat
> redundant:
>
> attribution=NHD
> canal=fixme
> fixme=canal/ditch attributes missing
> source=NHD

It adds a waterway tag which is wrong in at least 2/3 of the cases and
adds the fixme indicating so.  Removing the fixme now and keeping the
wrong waterway tag would be like shooting yourself into the second foot
after having already lost the first.

I see only two option here - removing the data or fixing it based on
other data sources (which is tricky of course).  On the other hand this
could be a fairly good candidate for something like maproulette.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/