Hi there!

On 23 Dec 99, at 23:06, Frank Farance wrote
    about "Other windows crashes":

> The Bat somehow corrupts the registry when you select it as
> the default mailer.  The following test should recreate the
> problem:
>
>         1. Install Eudora Light
>         2. Run Eudora so it asks "should I be your default mail program?".  Answer
>Yes.
>         3. Install The Bat.
>         4. Run The Bat so it asks "should I be your default mail program?".  Answer
>Yes.
>         5. Run Eudora again so it asks "should I be your default mail program?".
>Answer Yes.
>         6. Winodws will crash hard.

Did all the same with Pegasus Mail. No crash! Here: win95 osr2
russian, build 1111b. Therefore seems to be Eudora's bug...
Haven't got Eudora (it's a pig of a mailer, too large for me --
and too stupid, IMHO) to test your report with it...

Anyhow, it seems to me that I've proved that on my OS there's
*no* bug in TB in what your describe.

> It is difficult to fix the registry at this point.  My
> solution is to exit from Windows to DOS mode and type:
>
>         scanreg /restore

Well, *my* solution would be to kick off eudora:-) But you won't
probably agree with this:-)

> Which can restore yesterday's copy of the registry.   I'm not
> sure if this works on all Win98 workstations.  I'm pretty
> sure it doesn't work on Win95 workstations.  I've had no
> problem with Eudora and other mailers (Outlook, Netscape), so
> I think the problem is related to The Bat.

See above: in my tests, it's definitely not TB's problem:-)

> My configuration? IBM ThinkPad 770X with 320MB RAM, Pentium
> 300MHz, running Win98 (first edition).  Resources are not a
> problem because you can recreate the windows crashing problem
> just after reboot.

My config: hand-made system, consisting of: Acorp 6BX86
motherboard, CeleronA-333 CPU running at 415MHz, S3-3D
AGP videocard with 4megs, 64megs of PC-100 RAM, 1,7Gb
Fujitsu HDD (UDMA/33).

> FYI, I'm sending this via Eudora because I am happy *not* to
> run The Bat.  It seems like no one on this list is really
> interested in fixing problems ... only rationalizations:

You're wrong here. The crux of the matter is that we can't fix
the problems here, only report them to the developers.

>         - When I report usability problems ... the response is "it's the user's
>fault".

Which usability problems? Could you be more specific? Some
"usability problems" are _definitely_ users faults!

>         - When I report problems with the on-line help ...
> I'm told that I didn't go through every option and experiment
> (the response should have been "let's make the on-line help
> more useful").

The help file is out of date, we all know it. It will be completely
rewritten for the upcoming TB version 2, though

>         - When I report an internationalization problem (or a
> localization problem, depending on your perspective) ... I'm
> told that I should be happy with the date in the format of
> "dd MMM yyyy" (regardless of my localization settings).

This is *not* an internalization problem (although this is
definitely localization problem, here I think you're right. One of
the things I don't like in TB is the date representation, I would
like to see it in ISO, too...). Wanna know, *what* is
internalization problem? It's when you e-mail client doesn't
know what is KOI8-R charset (and hence this MUA is totally
*unusable* in Russia). Wanna example? Eudora! All versions.
Don't you consider this to be a *major* fault? IMHO, in
comparison with TB's ISO-date problem, it's a _real_bug_!

>         - When I report that the text entry box operates
> differently than all others (i.e., cursor positioning is
> wrong) ... I'm told that the main feature of that
> very-different approach is that I can build tables by just
> going "cursor down"

Have you seen Office'2000? M$ introduced *this very* feature.
It's now called "point and shoot", AFAIR. Why don't you
complain to M$ then?

> (yes, I used the Z editor and all its prior versions in the
> mid-1970's, but how often does one need to build tables in
> E-mail) ... regardless, the UI to this program is very
> different than all other Windows (or even Motif) applications
> ... this causes usability problems.

This is not a problem, IMHO. Since this very functionality is
now "introduced" by M$, it will definitely become a "production
standard" in the nearest future:-) Then you'll probably start
complaining about  Eudora still not supporting it:-)

> The people that create open source software have higher
> quality because everyone can fix things.

Not always, as a matter of fact. See the latest build of Mozilla
for example.

> This software should be open-sourced so that problems could
> get fixed.

Tell it to Qualcomm.

> The application is very far from being mature.

Agreed. So is Eudora. The only difference is that TB is rapidly
developing, whereas your belowed Eudora is all the same, with
all the old bugs still in the code.

> Sure, Eudora Light isn't perfect and lacks many bells and
> whistles, but it is *reliable*,

I.e., hangs all day long? See the very beginning of this very
message for an example:-)

> it uses an *existing* file format,

With a slight modification:-) It sure uses UNIX mailbox format,
but it messes up the "date" header so that the mailbox can't be
properly exported then.

> and for many people it is relatively easy to learn *basic* use
> (it can also do a reasonable job for filtering, address books,
> and fonts).

You mean Eudora Pro? AFAIK, Eudora light doesn't do
filtering. But then, compare the prices, please.

> I'm a software engineer for over 20 years, but I am choosing
> E-mail products for *non-technical* people (thus, interest in
> products like Eudora, Outlook, Netscape, The Bat).

Non-technical people should be first educated, and only then
start using the software. _NOT_ in reverse order!

> I'm sure many of you will send criticisms of my points, but
> you should take a serious look at the questions posed above
> (paragraph and bullets starting with "FYI")

I did.

> and the responses given over the E-mail reflector.  I really
> think you should ask yourself (1) if those responses I've
> received are reasonable,

Two or three of them are.

> and (2) if those responses would encourage wide-scale use of
> The Bat, just as Eudora has.

Eudora is used less and less nowadays. Quallcom has
acknowledged this lately. More and more Eudora users are
switching to TB, Pegasus (this I DO know for sure) and other
MUAs. If you are subscribed to this list to blame TB and praise
Eudora, you won't succeed. Everybody is able to d/load
Eudora, and in two or three days he'll definitely see that this
software is _not_ worth using.

> Finally, I'm *not* a big fan of Eudora, but I use it because
> it works.

It's your opinion. For me it doesn't.

> There are a bunch of little quirks, but mostly stuff I can
> live with.

Again, you'd better use "IMHO" abbreviation.

> Because E-mail is critical to my business, I can't live with a
> buggy, hard-to-use problem like The Bat.

Then unsubscribe -- and farewell to you!

> Since I paid for The Bat, I'll probably keep it around to get
> at those occassional uuencoded files that Eudora doesn't
> handle well.

Oops... Eudora even can't handle uuencoded files? One more
reason _not_ to use it!

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---