It seems that there are at least two reasons why non-thread safe extensions
can have problems in a threaded process like Tcl or JVM.

1. access system level globals

   Hopefully, this can be fixed by compiling with -D_REENTRANT.

2. access Tcl globals

   What to do?

Right now, I am experimenting with using -D_REENTRANT (but without
-DTCL_THREADS) to compile a non-threaded Tcl.  The Solaris problem did go
away using this special Tcl compilation.

-- Jiang Wu
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]