This seems to be the minimum requirement for using any extension in a
threaded program.  Like using Tcl library (an extension) in a JVM (a
threaded program).  Or are you saying that threaded application like Java or
threaded-Tcl should never use these extensions?

In the networking industry, people are heavily dependent on these extensions
because core Tcl does not provide support for most of the common network
protocols such as UDP, ICMP, etc.  People also use Expect a lot for
automated testing of networking equipments.

Having to keep two separate versions of Tcl around is just not convenient.
I am open to any solutions that can make these extensions work well with
Java and Tcl.

> are not a good solution (Itcl). We may end up having
> to do away with pre-compiled versions of Tcl Blend all
> together, just so that people do not make this mistake.

This is an unfortunate fact for UNIX due to its history and vendor
variations.  Not having pre-compiled versions do not solve the real problem.
It only pushes the problem to the user.  That may be the only solution, but
it is very good in my mind.

-- Jiang Wu
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]