Hello Henrik,

> >  >
> >  \usepackage{amsmath}  %%  make sure this comes *before* TeXpower...
> >  \usepackage[colormath]{texpower}
> >  %% \usepackage{amsmath} %% .... not after it!
>
> Sadly, this doesn't do the trick -- as the (now minimal)
> example reveals.  But the example is also capable of showing
> that it is amsmath's _fault_.

Your code below works fine for me:

   pdfTeX Version 3.14159-1.00a-pretest-20010806 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
under
   Digital Unix, OSF1 (V4.0 1091 alpha).

.... and as Wendy says, it doesn't matter which order is used
to load the packages.

The  texpower.sty  package file shows these versions:

\def\fileversion{0.0.8f}
\def\filedate{2000/06/27}

and my tpoptions.cfg  and  tpsettings.cfg  are both empty.
My  color.cfg  is the standard one from a TeXLive CD:

\@ifundefined{pdfoutput}{\ExecuteOptions{dvips}}{\ExecuteOptions{pdftex}}
\endinput

> But thanks, I apparently need to be reminded that it is wise
> to load texpower very, very late.

There must be something else wrong too.
Check your  .log  file for a simple job, to track which files
are being loaded. Perhaps you are getting something for dvips
rather than for pdftex ? (Though that should lead to trouble
with all math environments, not just one.)
Maybe you are loading a non-standard version of something,
which has coding that isn't as clean as it could be.

Without seeing a .log file, there's nothing more I can suggest.

Hope this helps,

        Ross Moore