I wasn't belittling his efforts. Just in awe; I swore off long bash scripts a
long time ago as I find them to be a lot of work, that's all. I imagine the
world record is substantially larger though.

It will be nice if someone can abstract the commonalities between payroll
taxing schemes to some generic dr/cr collection. I just think it will be a long
road. For example, your generic list contained a term I'm not even familiar
with. Ditto for much in Eliseo's code for the Philippines.

All the time tracking stuff for hours should be generic as should the payment
types (wage, hourly, commision etc.). Holiday bookings are already covered.
Statutory, paid holidays should be generic too.

Unfortunately, politicians both invent new taxes and borrow implentations from
other countries (think all the weird VAT/GST implementations). Canada (and what
I've read of the USA and the Philippines) has lots of variation -- everything
from straight percentage calcs to long, weird things with many conditions and
dependancies. Each is normally self contained though.

Maybe even the check digit routines for S.S. numbers would be common - at least
they would be known and pluggable.

The specific forms and xml used for electronic batch filing will, of course, be
different from place to place.

I did this once before about 15 years ago, so I'm trying to include all the
things people eventually had me add to their customized accounting re payroll
to make things easy and efficient for them. Things like batch entry of
time-sheets (time clock approach won't work for most of my client's employees
like roofers, general contractors etc.) and creating the Canadian specific
forms they hate filling out from that info to create ROEs for unemployment
insurance. Things like that.

I'm rambling, but that's only because I'm really very excited by the whole
thing. Terp uses my fav. language, database, db connector, cms and accords will
all the things I wish I'd done differently the first time. Plus a lot of
amazing coding; when I first saw the 20 minute module video I nearly fell over.
My first module took me 4-5 times that long, but my second one didn't! :)
Wonderful stuff.

There's a lot to learn though and I don't have Francais, so some docs take me a
long time to parse (poorly). I've yet to look into how scheduling works or even
do my first callback. On the other hand, I have some very simple questions like
why no first/last name separation? (my income tax summaries need it) to how is
'x' function accomplished.

As you can guess from the preceeding paragraph, my current level of familiarity
with terp does not extend to introducing a generic dr/cr layer for payroll
which I made the subject of a different thread a few days ago; maybe something
which just stored e.g.:
- name
- data type
- range, type and format checking
- income or deduction type
- name of function to call and/or
- manual entry field
- account distribution

Naturally, this would also aid in maintenance for a single jurisdiction as well
as help in adding new ones. Politicians dream up new taxes and change/drop old
ones all the time. This would not be at the user level as that would be a
support nightmare.

Perhaps the above is not the best idea, but I'm open to writing either it or
some better variation. If given some hints I'll do the work until it's
acceptable to the lead devs. Payroll is far more of a priority for me than it
is for the project as a whole.

For those contemplating joining in, I can tell you that payroll (being just
simple arithmetic + arbitrary rules) is a bit of a drag to write, because of
all the verbiage governments use, but easy to maintain afterwards.

I can't work on this some more tomorrow, but I'll be back on it Thursday my
time unless I get another call.