Jess Holle wrote:
Why out of curiosity? I don't have a pro-UGLI ax to grind here, but Commons-Logging's behavior in Tomcat is really undesirable as is.

It would be the same anyway: the loading configuration and the logger instances will be tied to the webapp classloader. It has to work this way. As I understand it, the thing that does not work for you right now is that Tomcat uses your webapp's logger namespace before your callbacks are called.

Now if you're inside JBoss and it has pre-established log4j and configured it prior to Tomcat loading, then I don't see a problem with Commons Logging. Standalone Tomcat's Commons Logging behavior vis-a-vis log4j would seem to be an issue, though. The issues are especially bad and bizarre when log4j is used in a web app but Tomcat itself does not have log4j installed, but this is only part of the issue.

I don't see any real difference. There should be plenty of container listeners and stuff available to configure this.
(I see Bill just mentioned conf/tomcat5-mbeans.xml but I have no clue what it is)

BTW, JBoss (supposedly, I didn't check personally) uses commons-logging everywhere, and the logging implementation used is log4j.

Rémy