On Thu, Jan 4 2024 at 09:30:05 -08:00:00, Steve Langasek <steve.langa...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 08:28:28AM -0800, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
 On 1/4/2024 8:21 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > With my flavor lead hat on, as far as I know, there's not a single
 > > official community flavor that is running their own mirror,
 > <https://xubuntu.org/download/>

If you investigate those mirrors, those are *not* run by the individual
 flavor. In fact, they seem to be pointing mostly at whole mirrors of
cdimage.ubuntu.com, and in most cases, those providers are also mirroring releases.ubuntu.com. So, sadly, those are not mirrors done *by* the flavor,
 which means that argument is invalid.

The very first mirror in the list is
<https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/xubuntu/releases/22.04/release/>, which is a xubuntu-specific mirror and not a full mirror of cdimage.u.c. So they are
distributing the Xubuntu ISOs without distributing the source ISOs.

They ALSO happen to be providing a full mirror of the Ubuntu archive at <https://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive/> so in effect are meeting
the GPL source distribution requirements without the source ISOs.

The second mirror in the list,
<http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/xubuntu/22.04/release/>, is
similar.

So is the third, <http://ubuntu.ipacct.com/xubuntu/22.04/release/>.

And to the best of my knowledge, we do not maintain any official list of cdimage.u.c mirrors in Launchpad, unlike the mirrors for releases.u.c; so
this is de facto a per-flavor mirror list regardless.

So yes, there are existing per-flavor mirrors that are distributing binary ISOs; they are not mirroring the source ISOs; and no one is complaining.
The ones I've checked also happen to have an Ubuntu archive mirror
alongside, so are effectively meeting the GPL source distribution
requirements without the source ISOs (whether by design or accident, I
cannot say).

I believe you're missing my entire point. These mirrors may or may not be set-up by the flavors themselves, and the providers could just be fans of the flavors. You can't make assumptions that the flavors themselves are providing them. Xubuntu, in particular, has a very wide fanbase.

I would like to point out though that one of those linked mirrors on https://xubuntu.org/downloads also provides https://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/ubuntu-cdimage/ubuntustudio/releases/23.10/release/, which I certainly didn't set-up and I highly doubt any of my predecessors did either. However, per the GPL, I can't stop them, and I have no reason to. Albiet that's a mirror of all of cdimage.ubuntu.com, and the same company mirrors both releases.ubuntu.com and archive.ubuntu.com, therefore, as you mentioned, meeting the requirements of the GPL by haiving the sources.

And de-facto per-flavor mirror list of cdimage.u.c or not, especially if the flavors themselves didn't coordinate it, you can't put that on the flavors as they don't maintain them. However, I would put that list on xubuntu.org squarely on Xubuntu for maintaining, but fact of the matter is they just might happen to know where to find mirrored images, nothing more. However, I cannot speak for Xubuntu, so I'll admit I'm making an assumption here, but Xubuntu does not speak for the other flavors in this case.

That said, I'm not interested in bikeshedding this any further. My entire point was that when there's a decision involved where it affects flavors, flavors MUST have a say.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader - Ubuntu Studio