On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 04:36:54PM +0000, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:

> I thought these are generated as a point in time snapshot; because we
> otherwise had no other point in time snapshots available. And hence we
> archived these with binary isos to old-releases.ubuntu.com especially
> after things are removed from launchpad and primary mirrors. And then
> old-releases.ubuntu.com actually has co-located binaries and sources,
> with matching things.

No, we don't publish them to old-releases.ubuntu.com either, because the
policy is that old-releases.u.c only gets artifacts that were previously on
releases.u.c, not cdimage.u.c.  Images that are expired off of cdimage.u.c
do get archived by IS into "cold storage", so in theory if we needed to for
license compliance it would be possible to retrieve such an image but er we
have AFAIK also never tested the restore from backup path for those.

Which also highlights that in 20 years we've never had a request for it.  So
again, what value are they actually providing.

Furthermore, for all non-LTS releases, we continue to distribute the apt
archive from https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ which has the Sources
from the release pocket, so no "point in time snapshot" is needed; and for
the point releases, the release team does take a point-in-time snapshot of
-updates, and this is also offline, but again we've never had anyone
actually ask us to give them a copy of this so the fact that it's offline
isn't terribly important.

> Given we now have https://snapshot.ubuntu.com/ service, will that
> continue to be running for releases that transition to EOL? and or
> migrate to old-releases? Because, imho https://snapshot.ubuntu.com is
> a much better interface to access matching binaries and sources, at
> any point in time, for any release today, and in the past and in the
> future.

We have not asked the Launchpad team for a committment to this.  I agree
that snapshot.u.c. is a better interface overall and likely a more efficient
way to meet this requirement, and we can have that conversation with them
about ensuring it works for EOL releases.  But also, the current point
release snapshotting process by the release team ensures we have the
information necessary to produce the corresponding source if ever required,
so that's not urgent either.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org