On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 04:41:43PM +1300, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> Hello release team,

> In the course of recent refactorings of ubuntu-cdimage / debian-cd we
> somehow broke the building of source ISOs. I doubt this is anything very
> deep and can surely be fixed but there is another option: stop building
> source ISOs.

> AFAIU the point of a source ISO is GPL-compliance: if you are hosting an
> ISO made out of GPL-licensed components you should really also host the
> source of those components. However, we put source ISOs on cdimage (e.g.
> https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/source/20231011.1/source/) not releases, so
> everyone (?) who mirrors the ubuntu ISOs for us does not mirror the source
> ISOs.

> As our mirror operators have been working this way for approximately 20
> years without issue, perhaps it's time to stop making source ISOs and
> delete even more code from debian-cd and ubuntu-cdimage.

> WDYAT?

As you know, I'm a fan of this.

In principle, source images are useful for ensuring the distributors of our
install images are complying with the terms of the GPL.  But this is only
true if they are *actually distributed together*, or if the source image is
somehow useful for a distributor to rely on for the "written offer" option
under the GPL.

As you point out, the image files are not being distributed together.
Mirrors of releases.ubuntu.com don't get these source ISOs; and where
community flavors are running their own mirrors, AFAIK they aren't including
the source ISOs.  So if they're not being distributed together, the ISOs are
no better than pointing at the apt archive for source (possibly with an
appropriate index - which we do as a matter of course archive as part of
point releases, so that it is possible to correctly reconstruct the list of
required source packages + versions for point release images as well, not
just GA images).

And we ourselves long ago stopped distributing physical CDs, and I'm not
aware of anyone else doing so - and if someone does, I think it's unlikely
that they are also distributing
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/mantic/release/source/ on 6 DVDs!  This
just isn't a useful structuring of corresponding-source-for-image anymore,
because we try to include the source for all flavors, and there are a lot
more flavors than there were when source ISOs started being built; yet we've
had zero bug reports from anyone asking to make these source ISOs more
useful.

And as far as OEM preinstalled systems are concerned, well - those systems
use customized install media, so the "mainline" Ubuntu source ISOs don't
satisfy the "corresponding source" requirement there either.

So I think in practice, the source ISOs are not useful in their current
state, haven't been for a long time, and therefore we should stop producing
them.

And as to whether there are costs in maintaining these: we basically only
build source ISOs once or twice every release cycle, so the machinery to do
so is very much the opposite of well-oiled.  After the 23.10.1 respin of the
Ubuntu Desktop images, I found that the source ISOs appeared to have become
un-published, and I found it incredibly difficult to even work out the
correct invocation of the commands that would allow me to re-publish the
existing ISOs.  debian-cd didn't even enter into it, I was just trying to
drive ubuntu-cdimage to re-publish the previously built images...

Dropping the source ISO builds from the release process (and not having to
continue supporting them in the code) would be very nice.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/
slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org