I decided to take a crack at this today.  I have good news and bad
news.

The good news is that I can now boot from a virtual hard drive instead
of a virtual floppy.  I have made most of the necessary changes to
autoexec.bat, net/system.in_, and install.pl to make them "boot drive
agnostic".  And I can confirm that I can now boot my laptop without a
floppy drive installed and begin running install.pl.

The bad news is that fdisk is failing.  I have written up a report and
sent it to the syslinux and fd-dev mailing lists:

  http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2003-July/002257.html

So, I could make the system work as long as you choose "No large disk
support" at the first prompt.  This is good enough if you only want
one large partition, but it is insufficient for more complex
partitioning schemes on large drives so I cannot make it the default.
With any luck, either the fdisk or memdisk folks will figure something
out.

Assuming you don't care about complicated partitioning, I believe I
could get you an ISO image to test sometime this weekend.  Interested?

 - Pat

P.S.  Anybody have the tools handy to compile Free FDISK?  (I think it
needs Borland Turbo C++ 3.1).  I have looked at the source and I
believe it would be pretty easy to fix.