So you are saying that Maven IS hard because someone doesn't understand a
huge project that they've never used before?  You are saying that if it was
done in ant it would be easier to understand?  I find that extremely hard to
believe.

I've read plenty of articles written that I thought explained nicely what
Maven 2 is.  If there is no good paragraph on the Maven website about what
it is, then why would someone have started using it if they didn't know?

If people are going nuts installing every plugin on the planet and then
wondering why they can't understand Maven, then I have no pity for them.
You don't start off programming by trying to do something complicated.
Anyone that does that is asking for trouble, and can't blame that on the
tool.  Tools are tools, they can be misused and abused.  With anything,
someone has to have realistic expectations and expect to learn rather than
just be productive instantly.  I got started with Maven by simply building a
jar, then a webapp (all documented on their site) and then added stuff to it
as I needed.  I've never had a problem and never felt lost to the point of
frustration.