I know when I started with Maven in the 2.0 beta days, there really
wasn't much documentation at all. The situation today is vastly
different. I will admit that the organization of the site isn't great
and honestly I just go to the index and pull the doc I need. (Yes even
PMC members can't remember everything all the time). I've put thought
into how it could be better organized, but haven't come up with a great
solution.

Maven is big and complex and I think reading some of the first chapters
of either book mentioned in this chapter really is needed to get a good
foundation.

One thing that comes to mind here that is missing is "How to find what
you're looking for". Something to say, this is where the settings info
is, here's the pom stuff, here's how to understand the plugin docs etc.
I will try to find some time to put this together.

The best way to get things clarified in the docs is to write a jira and
submit a patch. Sometimes the more you use a system, the less obvious
the lacking parts of the docs become, this is where we really need user
(especially new ones) help to figure that out.

I think it might also be helpful to add one of those google "search this
site" things to the page.