We use windows on the dev workstatios and unix (SunOS 5.10
Generic_120011-14 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200) on dev/qa/production
servers.
We use Java 5 and we are migrating to tomcat 5.5 or 6.

Ralph, why do you say it's dangerous? Even if it doesn't have java
code, it would have tagslibs. Actually  I don't really see any
advantage using Velocity than JSP here.

Anyway, we are quite a big company and I couldn't ask to change our
tecnology just like this. We use this currently with resin, and it
works just fine. We leave css, jsp and html in a separated root.

If I use sym links it would be more difficult for developers to work
with windows, although they could still copy everything to inside
their webapps/[context], anyway it would be a more clumsy solution.

I managed to get css/images and html as a separated context in tomcat.
The only problem for me now is to have the JSP's separated.
Would exist a plugin or some hack (argh) that would enable to map the
JSP's from somewhere else in the file system?

Thanks
Emerson