Well, I said at the beginning that I'm not a big fan of this approach,
but I understand the reasons behind it and the difficulties it would
have to change it.

Other reason for using this approach is when you have a great amount
of static content, like images. An update of the war would have to
include 1 or more giga of images and static html pages.

What about if you have different applications (wars) that share common
headers, footers, images, etc?
Now people usually do it using symlinks, which makes it difficult using windows.

regards
emerson